Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 1: Fast Five release party

Here in Tuscaloosa at the MovieStop we had a massive Fast Five release party on Monday night. Tons of people showed up, and many of them brought their badass cars to show off. There was a mob in the parking lot looking at car engines, and it was basically exactly like that any scenes from the movies that take place right before a street race.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures, because I was drunk and had run down the battery on my phone by texting a girl who doesn't like me. But, believe me, it was epic. Adding to the epicness is that they only charged me the DVD price for the blu-ray. Thanks, MovieStop!

OK, so today I watched Fast Five, and it's as brilliant as I remembered, and I let go of my main complaint about the movie -- that it's missing a good driving sequence in the middle -- and accepted that as a heist movie it doesn't need it.

Believe it or not, this was only my second viewing of Fast Five. The movie came out during a dark fucking period, as Dewey Cox would say, as it hit theaters two days after that tornado ripped through town, and I only got out to see it the one time. But that's OK, because I'll more than make up for it over the next year.

Let's reflect on my favorite moment in the film for a second. Said moment comes when the whole heist team gets together for the first time and Paul Walker introduces Vin Diesel to Tyrese. The two guys kinda stare each other down and don't shake hands, and you can just feel the jealousy radiating off the two of them, both being Paul Walker's former lovers after all. I watched that scene over and over and laughed every time. It'll never get old. Or at least I hope it doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment